Thursday, May 01, 2014

Happy Tenth Anniversary MOM'S CANCER by Brian Fies


Ten years ago yesterday, Brian Fies posted this note on Usenet:

For Your Consideration Please: A Comic Strip About Cancer 
My mother was diagnosed with incurable lung cancer. I made a comic strip about it.

Within a few months, Brian's Web comic went viral. Brian racked up some awards, a publishing deal with Abrams for a book, and made a name for him as a graphic novelist.

Hats off to Brian, who takes the opportunity to update us on the impact of the book both professionally and personally.

Congratulations, my friend.

His latest work, THE LAST MECHANICAL MONSTER, has been nominated for an Eisner Award. 


1 comment:

Brian Fies said...

Mike, you were one of the first pro cartoonists to reach out and welcome me into the club (and teach me the secret handshake and show me where we keep the plush terrycloth robes when we lounge around the Cartoonists Spa). That meant a lot. Thanks for that, and for this mention.