Friday, August 26, 2011

ALLE MENN April 1962


Here's a copy of ALLE MENN No. 14, April 1962. ALLE MENN is an "Ukebladet for Mannfolk" which (without breaking my intense blog prose styling here by running out and Googling to make sure) means it's a magazine for manly folk. My friend Adrian Sinnott handed it to me and said, You might like this for your blog.

And right he was!

This was back when a magazine had some great art and cartoons in it. There is something for everyone: cool car drawings, a Western, gag cartoons, a silent O. Soglow-style strip and a silly bigfoot-style strip. Some of them are full page. Lovely. We need art like this in magazines today, instead of the latest bit of stock art or a Corbis photo of a celebrity.


The inside front cover sports a duotone feature titled DRAKE and DRAKE by Jose Carlos and Pizarro. Looking closely, this expertly drawn (but rather hastily lettered) bit of comic art is actually four comic strips stacked on top of each other. I have mo more information on this.

Next, we have a series of gag cartoons. Since this is in Norwegian, I can't comment on the gag quality.







OK, the wordless ones I get! And they are fun.

And now here's WELLS FARGO which may or may not be from the same series by British comic artist Don Lawrence. Regardless, it's pretty much a painterly inking style. Gorgeous. Obvious the artist loves the west.


And here's the last strip, TIMIAN by Gosta Gummesson. Silly and fun. It's the next to last page of the mag.



The back cover ad is for a BBC "Learn English" LP series.

6 comments:

Smurfswacker said...

This is a nice selection of strips. I don't know much about Drake & Drake except that it was an English comic strip--the artist's full name seems to have been Jose Carlos Gracia. Later the art was taken over by Carlos Gimenez.

Smurfswacker said...

My previous comment was wrong. That's what I get for quoting 30-year old notes. Digging around Spanish comics sites I found "Drake & Drake" originated in 1961 at the Spanish shop Ibergraf. Apparently it ran in a Spanish comic called "Duwarin." As for the Pizarro in the credits, a Pizarro is listed as one of the later artists (before Gimenez took over); however there were reportedly several scripters so maybe he's the author.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Unkel Karl is Uncle Charlie, a probably Canadian strip, which I have clipped a lot but not yet shown on my blog. Ran for quite a while as well.

Jean-Paul Jennequin said...

"Timian" is Åsa-Nisse, a Swedish strip.

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks so much for filling me on this information!

David Weman said...

I'm Swedish and can understand all but one strip. The Sophia cartoon is the only funny one, and very much of its time.

"Damn! Imagine her in a tight sweater, eh?"